In Season 2000, the Sydney Swans Football Club formed an alignment with the Port Melbourne Football Club. As part of this alignment, up to six (6) Sydney Swans players were provided to Port Melbourne on a weekly basis to play in our Victorian Football League (VFL) team.
This alignment was forged after a major restructure of Victorian Football that took place at the end of season 1999. As a result of that restructure, the VFL again became the leading Australian Rules competition outside of the AFL. Although the Port Melbourne Football Club had several options available at that time, the Sydney Swans Football Club was unanimously accepted as being both the preferred and best option. Another contributing factor in the decision to align with Sydney was that the Swans, (from their origin in South Melbourne) were once neighbours of the Port Melbourne Football Club. Accordingly, residents of the district have been supporters of both Clubs. Furthermore, over the years, a number of Australian football legends such as Bob Skilton and Peter Bedford have played for both Clubs.
The Port Melbourne Football Club has enjoyed a very professional relationship with the Sydney Swans Board and Staff since this alignment. As a result, an agreement has been signed by both Clubs to extend this alignment to season 2003. Some details of the current arrangement between both Clubs include :
- Twelve (12) Sydney Swans players to play for the Port Melbourne Football Club in the VFL competition each week.
- All selected Sydney Swans players fly to Melbourne the night before each VFL game and train with the Port Melbourne team. The Sydney Assistant Coach travels with the Sydney players and assists the Port Melbourne
- Coach on match day in the Coach’s Box and at breaks.
- The Port Melbourne Coach flies to Sydney on a monthly basis and attends strategy meetings with the Sydney Swans Coaching Staff.
- Sydney Swans Players are included in Port Melbourne Football Club’s Best & Fairest Award and Match Day Awards.
- The Port Melbourne Board of Directors encourage “Borough” supporters to support the Sydney Swans team in the AFL and we welcome any Swans fans that may attend our games in the VFL.
SYDNEY SWANS MELBOURNE GAMES FOR SEASON 2001
Date V’s Venue
- Sunday 29 April Melbourne M.C.G.
- Saturday 5 May St. Kilda Colonial Stadium
- Sunday 3 June Collingwood Colonial Stadium
- Saturday 23 June Richmond Colonial Stadium
- Saturday 14 July Hawthorn M.C.G.
- Sunday 12 August Essendon Colonial Stadium